top of page

Documents check-list to file individual taxes:

The specific documents required may vary based on your circumstances; here is a general checklist of documents. 

Income Documents:

  • W-2 forms: Wage and salary income

  • 1099-MISC, 1099-NEC, or other 1099 forms: Non-employee income (contract work, freelance, etc.)

  • 1099-INT, 1099-DIV: Interest and dividend income

  • 1099-B, 1099-S: Income from sales of stock, capital gains or other property.

  • K-1 forms: Income from partnerships, S corporations, trusts, or estates

  • Rental income and expenses local or foreign.

Deduction and Credit Documents:

  • Receipts for deductible expenses (charitable contributions, medical expenses, etc.)

  • If you own a home and pay mortgage interest - Form 1098: Mortgage interest statement.

  • Educational expenses: Form 1098-T, receipts for tuition, etc.

  • Childcare expenses: Provider information and receipts

  • Health Savings Account (HSA) or Medical Savings Account (MSA) contributions.

Electric Vehicle Tax Credit

  • EV car purchase agreement or Car purchase date, make and model, year, and VIN.

Medical Expenses:

  • Share medical invoices/bills if they total more than 7.5% of adjusted gross income (AGI).

Educational Expenses:

  • Form 1098-T from educational institution(s)

  • Form 1098-E if you paid interest on student loan.

Retirement Accounts:

  • Form 1099-R: Distributions from retirement accounts

  • Contributions to IRAs or other retirement accounts.

Health Insurance Coverage:

  • Form 1095-A, 1095-B, or 1095-C: Proof of health insurance coverage.


  • If the foreign (outside USA) financial accounts aggregate balances over $10K at any point of the time in 2023. Financial accounts include bank, PF, LIC and mutual funds.

bottom of page