top of page
Tax Income Reports


You’ve filed your federal tax return and now found out that you’ve made a mistake. What should you do? You can fix the errors by filing an amended return.

  • File an amended tax return if there is a change in your filing status, income, deductions, or credits.

  • Generally, you don’t need to file an amended return to correct math errors. The IRS will automatically make those changes for you.

  • Use Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to file an amended tax return. The Amended return cannot be e-filed, it will go with the paper filing only.

  • Generally, you must file form 1040-X within three years of the date you filed your original tax return, or within two years of the date you paid the tax. Make sure to enter the year of the return you are amending at the top of form 1040-X.

  • If you’re filing an amended tax return to claim an additional refund, wait until you receive your original tax refund before filing Form 1040-X.

  • If you owe additional taxes with Form 1040-X, pay the tax with the return or as soon as possible to minimize interest and penalties.

  • You can use the IRS Where’s My Amended Return? tool on to check the status of your amended tax return three weeks after you mailed it.

  • To know the status of your Amended return, please click here.

bottom of page